Monday, September 7, 2009

85. “Trapeze Swinger” by Iron and Wine (2009)


“Please, remember me fondly.
I heard from someone you're still pretty.
And then they went on to say that the pearly gates had such eloquent graffiti, like: 'We'll meet again' and 'Fuck the man' and 'Tell my mother not to worry'.
And angels with their great handshakes were always done in such a hurry.”

I knew I’d be including this song after I’d heard the most recent album version of it on the B-Sides record, “Around the Well” that just came out this past year. It was the third version I’d heard of it and each time the song was powerful and affecting and really nice to listen to.

The first time I’d heard this was from the “Live at Bonnaroo 2006” double disc that someone made for me – a stark acoustic-only version that closed the set and really sounded great. Two years after that, I saw them on Austin City Limits and they again closed with this one, this time with some female backing vocals. Then I heard the album version, which has a different rhythm to it, a little more studio production and some backing vocals looped throughout. Every version of this 9-minute tune is vintage Sam Beam. Make sure you check it out.

No comments: