Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Review: 'Cardinology'/Ryan Adams & The Cardinals




Fun fact: I once spoke to Ryan Adams outside Bowery Ballroom for all of 2 minutes while having a cigarette with my friend Brian. We had both seen something on the Discovery Channel about the Mars landers and agreed that our minds were blown by this type of thing. He seemed like a really nice guy, not at all like the weirdo on that
website of his. Although, the more I think of it, the more I think half the stuff on there is an inside joke between him and his friends. Has to be, right? 

We move on. I like to keep these kind of short, so here's the short take on it: I didn't like it as much as I liked Cold Roses or Jacksonville City Nights, which is probably a common take on it. Even though six out of the 12 songs get four stars, I really don't think they're all that memorable and I doubt if I'll look back on them in a few years and want to play them all that much. It feels like an in between sort of record. 

It's fair to say that some of these are barely 4 stars. They may yet slip to 3. Nothing is forever, not even the opinions of Himself. 

Best song: 'Let Us Down Easy'
Worst song: 'Natural Ghost'

* Remember to take a look at my commentary on the left to see what these ratings mean. 

Born Into a Light (3 Stars)
Go Easy (4 Stars)
Fix It (4 Stars)
Magick (3 Stars)
Evergreen (4 Stars)
Like Yesterday (3 Stars)

No comments: