Monday, January 26, 2009

Review: The Jupiter Deluxe


Full disclosure: I know Mark Rinzel, one of the guys in the band. By 'know', I mean I saw him play a mutual friend's wedding, at which most of us had been boozing for a percentage of the daylight hours upwards of 75, at least one (1) person threw a beer into the air which landed on another guest during a Hold Steady cover and Mark & Co. played a ridiculous version of 'Rosalita'. 

He is a nice guy, and pleasingly alternative. I don't know what that means.

I will say this: before listening to them, I thought to myself, 'What if it blows? Will I be honest? Will I now avoid Mark? Will I compromise myself and say nice things even though it is horrible and the boys should give up the dream, get real(er) jobs (I don't know what that means) and pack it in to play guitar for the relatives and/or girls they bring home and would like to woo with tales of when they wuz fab?'

Thankfully, this became unnecessary upon listening, and their skills saved me from possible moral compromise. I don't mind lying to people, I just don't like lying to myself and the 5 people who actually read these reviews (It's more, but ... yeah).

I recommend 'Sleazy Thieves' if you want to hear the best of these guys. It rules. It's on my January 2009 playlist and that is a good thing. Except for the fact that January has been so incredibly shitty for good music. But they're good, and they're good guys, and if I'm biased, at least I'm honest. The rest of it is very worthy, and supporting up and coming acts will always lend you street cred with your friends if you recommend them first. So recommend the Jupiter Deluxe. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BEST WEDDING AND BEST WEDDING BAND EVER!!