Thursday, November 19, 2009

75. “Television Rules The Nation / Crescendolls (LIVE)“ by Daft Punk (2007)


Daft Punk is playing at my house.

I didn’t set a rule that live song should not be included here, and even if I did, do you think I would have been able to exclude the robot rock duo that is Daft Punk? Highly doubtful.

As such, Daft Punk’s 2007 live LP, Alive, is a fantastic relic of the decade, one that seems to be the aughts’ version of Frampton Comes Alive, with all its silly excesses and hooks and auto-tone and extended grooves. Frampton and Daft Punk don’t seem to inhabit the same world, but I think they both got their respective generations to a similar place. Though I am far from a connoisseur of electronic dance music, the Alive LP is something every music completist should own. I don’t claim to know that much about Cuban music, but I play the Buena Vista Social Club LP all the time. Same with Alive.

Listen here.

No comments: