Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Thermals: Loud and Nerdy


I have been such a complete shithead lately that I have been entirely negligent in my reviews. Also, my loathing for Brandon 'Poopypantz' Flowers has been keeping me up at night, so late that my insults have become seriously juvenile. They will continue down this path, I assure you. 

With that, we present a few bands that are somewhat less popular than The Killers but ultimately shitloads more deserving and less pretentious. As far as I know, none of the bands below wear anything like the French Revolutionary douche-wear you will find on the likes of Coldplay, the Killers and ... French revolutionaries. 

First up: THE THERMALS.

These kids' parents clearly did not tell them to 'Turn that fucking guitar down!' quite enough when they were young. 'When I Died' has become one of my favorite songs of the year, and tell me you don't hear Hutch Harris yelling 'Yeah, so I could swim' in your head the following day. The noise they put out is sonically impressive and you get the feeling these guys would be that group of people that come to one of your friends' houses one weekend, the group of of guys you don't know that well, but who with one look you can tell they are going to keep everyone up all goddamn weekend. 

And you like them. These guys have balls, and with a glance towards iTunes, I see they have impressed me enough to earn no fewer than four five-star songs. Check out the first single and die.

Since I'm so fucking helpful and I have an unfailing belief that your fingers are all broken and you don't know how to Google, find them here: http://www.thethermals.com/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Agreed. Been hearing this a lot on Sirius, and I'm glad they are not irritating to look at.

Anonymous said...

I saw the Thermals open for the Hold Steady at NYU. They were lots of fun. They reminded me of early Superchunk. Their new album is very good.