Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Top 100, #95: Lily Allen, 'LDN'


“Riding through the city on my bike all day, ‘cause the filth took away my license.
It doesn't get me down and I feel OK, ‘cause the sights that I'm seeing are priceless.
Everything seems to look as it should, but I wonder what goes on behind doors.
A fella looking dapper, but he's sitting with a slapper, then I see it's a pimp and his crack whore.

You might laugh you might frown, walkin' round London town.
Sun is in the sky oh why, oh why, would I wanna be anywhere else?”

British pop music gets us to the best and worst of places and Lily Allen seems to originate from the weird place that sits right in the middle of Blur and Kylie Minogue. There’s a cheeky confessional British-ness to Ms. Allen that can make her intolerable at times, but this song is not one of them. In short, this is a great pop song, with a catchy chorus, a summery feel (thanks to calypso-driven Lord Kitchener sample looped throughout) and mostly amusing lyrics. I’ve read Rolling Stone interviews with her and I’ve seen enough absurd quotes from her that I didn’t think I’d be into anything she puts out. But this song is a huge winner, as is her great cover of The Clash’s “Straight To Hell”.

Full disclosure: if I lived in The UK or Ireland, there is strong possibility that I would not be able to endure anything that Lily Allen does, including her music.

No comments: