Sunday, December 13, 2009

49. “You Go On Ahead (Trumpet Trumpet II)” by Sunset Rubdown (2009)


Spencer Krug of Sunset Rubdown and Wolf Parade was a busy man in the latter half of the decade, so ‘twas a bit difficult to choose a song from either one of these outfits. Although Sunset Rubdown is seen as his more adventurous side project, I think this is probably the best song he’s released. That’s not to say that there are not a bunch of others that could have been considered though.

Incidentally, Wolf Parade was a band whose first record really impressed me, despite the Modest Mouse comparisons. Luckily, Krug has proven to be much more than a rip off artist as Wolf Parade’s second release went in a different awesome direction and the Sunset Rubdown albums are obviously quite good in their own right.

Wolf Parade is also the source of amusement for me, since I was amped to check them out live at one point after that first LP came out and was then reminded by one of my friends that I did see them live -- opening for Modest Mouse at the Bowery at one of those free Rolling Stone shows. No wonder I left my phone in a cab outside of Piano’s that night. I’ve no idea how good they are live, but people inform me that I seemed to really be rocking out during their set.

Enough about Wolf Parade though, check out the Sunset track here.

No comments: