Thursday, December 10, 2009

55. “Bag It Up” by Oasis (2008)


“I got my heebie jeebies in a hidden bag”

Most of what Oasis does is quite amusing, but their decade-ending breakup has been particularly fun the follow. The tirades, finger pointing, guitar smashing, all of it has kept me entertained. It’s as if they are playing out the rock cliché, tongue firmly placed in cheek, except when you realize that these two guys actually don’t really like each other, Davies Brothers style.

With all of that having been said, it is easy to not be upset about their breakup because it seems like they gave us more than we’d have ever expected. Sure, things this decade were very hit and miss for this band, but the last two records they released were better-than-solid and between them they basically produced ten or more vintage Oasis classics. Their most recent album – the swan song, I guess you could call it -- Dig Out Your Soul, seemed to garner very positive critical reviews, despite the absence of strong hooks, something that is obviously the Oasis trademark. Unlike its predecessor, 2005’s Don’t Believe The Truth, which packed in some new, fresh Oasis-style melodies, Dig Out Your Soul was bluesy and dark. I think the album as a whole was kind of overrated, but it did have some standouts and this song is by far the best thing they have done since the 1990s -- and it probably stands out as one of the better songs they have ever written. Unfortunately, YouTube has pulled the audio to clips of this song, so I can only attach the Rhapsody clip.

Lastly, when I said that The Doves do the whole BritPop thing better than Oasis, I don’t think I really meant it.

No comments: